Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Potty time!

So... we have been trying to figure out the potty training thing. You might think that I should be a pro at this by now... but to be honest, I've never REALLY potty trained any of my boys. Damon was older than 3 when he potty trained and it was really thanks to my mom-in-law watching him a few days in a row while I worked that he ended up potty trained. Jaydin was also past 3 and the daycare promised to get it done if I brought lots of pairs of underpants and pants with him. Well, Dominic shows LOTS of signs of being ready. He wakes up dry in the morning and the other day he told me he was poopy, proceeded to push.. then said "never mind, I just fart!" That's when I knew I just needed to buck up and get 'er done! So we started out with a "potty train"! I bought this train and some big boy underpants and just displayed them on the piano. Any time he asked we would talk about the potty train and how he could earn it from going potty on the pot. He showed some intrigue and so... I sort of "tried" the other day with underpants and he did OKAY! My mom-in-law swears by the timer. She used it with all 7 of her boys. I am horrible at the timer! Ugh!

So... I was talking to my mom and she told me I should go to kid-to-kid and get the "potty time watch." I was a little confused but my mom said it's a timer that they wear as a watch that goes off to remind them it's time to go potty. This sounded like a grand idea so I stopped in and picked one up. I have also heard people say to let the kid run around in just their underwear so you aren't fighting pants to get on the potty. I promise that normally Dominic is dressed! Running around without clothes is a very RARE occurrence in my world! :o)
Here is Dom displaying his potty watch. I actually decided to watch the timer and record it going off so everyone can see what it does. Basically, you can set it to go off every 30, 60 or 90 minutes. When time is up, a song plays and lights flash. It then resets itself and voila... it continues to go off at intervals as programmed!

So he sits on the toilet and doesn't fight me and goes PEE!! YAY!! Unfortunately we missed the poopy by a minute or two but maybe... he will figure out the joys of pooping on the potty! The only downer I've found so far with the watch is that the stupid face comes off way too easily. Dom doesn't like wearing it all the time but carries it around when he's not wearing it. I think I will take this one back and get a new one and hopefully we can get one where the face stays on! Otherwise... so far... I think it's worth the 10 bucks!

2 comments:

Nicholette said...

I wish I knew about the potty watch with Mason. Man, he was hard to train! I hope Domi goes fast. Good luck!!

Debi said...

big boy Domi