Friday, December 14, 2007

Surprise!!!!!

Here is the story as best I can tell it!!! Today marks the 6 week "anniversary" of the miscarriage. I took a pregnancy test 3 weeks ago that came back positive but everything I read on the Internet said it can take up to 6 weeks to get a negative test and 6 weeks to have a period. Well.. I've been waiting fairly patiently but still have not started my period. So yesterday I went to walmart and bought another pregnancy test cause I figured... this will be my peace of mind! I peed on the stick with great vigor only to be completely blown away (and terrified) when it was STILL POSITIVE!!!

I had been researching the absence of this period and knew from my many online sources that positive pregnancy tests that far after a loss can only mean that you have not completely dispelled the tissue! UGH!!! Now really if it's been six weeks I should be very sick by now... which I haven't been, but I still just assumed this meant I was going to have to fork out the money, go to the DR. and have a D&C!
I e-mailed the midwife I was planning on using, but decided to call another midwife who I knew had A LOT of personal experience with miscarriage. The following is our phone conversation!

K: Hi Holly, this is Kari Adams, I'm wondering if you have a minute to talk to me.
H: Sure what's up?
K: I miscarried 6 weeks ago but still haven't had a period and got a positive pregnancy test today!
H: How do you know you miscarried?
(WHAT?!?!?! I was totally blown away by this!)
K: Well, I was bleeding lots of bright red blood and passed a palm sized clot....
H: Nope... I think you're still pregnant!
(WTF?!?!?!? Is that even possible?)
H: It doesn't sound like you passed any tissue... tissue is gray.
K: But the clot was so big and it was really thick and could not be separated!
H: Nah... if it looked like liver... it was a clot!
K: Can you just do that? Actively bleed and pass clots while you are pregnant and still be pregnant?
H: YUP!! I have twice!

So at this point I'm completely flabbergasted and she says the cheapest way to find out if I'm pregnant or not is to go to the Ultrasound place in the mall (that tells you what the sex of your baby is) and pay $50 for an ultrasound. So I called them up and scheduled it after Darin got off work. He met me at the mall and we tried to explain that we thought we had miscarried... blah blah blah and she understands and says, kay lets do this! She puts the jelly on my belly and then the ultrasound probe and the first thing I see looks something like this:

Followed by this lovely profile:


Followed very closely by this:






I couldn't stop the tears from flowing. There floating inside me is this beautiful little person who I was certain had died. So boys and girls... my baby has a heartbeat.... and a penis! ;o)

9 comments:

Jessicah said...

oh my gosh, Kari that is wonderful...I am so happy for you!

Momma Turtle said...

omg! that is sooo cool! i'm way happy for you! and i love the sonagram pics they are sooo adorable!

Lena's Mom said...

OMG! I'm so happy for you. What a wonderful and strange surprise.

williams family said...

woohoo woohoo that is so great I know that it was a really hard thing to go through but look now you will have 4 wonderful crazy boys .....and yes I do need your address please I did make a card for you I just hadn't asked you for your address yet well we are off to go to church I'm so happy for you :)

Kim and Adam said...

OH MY GOSH!!! That is so crazy.. the best news ever!! I am so happy for you congrats!!!!!!!!

Elise said...

Hey so I am not hip enough to use the blogging lingo like OMG!!! so congrats and I am very excited for you, I was good to talk to Darin for a little while. It would be great to see you guys sometime in April if possible it is far off and I have no idea what will be planned while I am home but we can talk about it later plus Kari you will be huge and on the countdown, so Merry Christmas, I will try and call closer to Christmas, Love you guys
Les

Unknown said...

Wow...How flipping incredible!! Life is amazing, congratulations!!!
With all the exclamations I can mustar. We love ya!!

Monica said...

Hun...I can not begin to even tell you how happy I am for you...I was heartbroken when I'd found out that you (thought you) lost your baby....I guess this just goes to show you that God comes through with his miracles...and you totally deserve it. =) You've got one lucky little boy growing inside you. He's got a great mamma. -hugs-

Monica

Jackie said...

Oh Kari how wonderful!!!  You can totally handle four boys...you are already use to chaos and craziness so one more boy will be a breeze!!  I guess all I can say is hold on and laugh as much as you can!!  Congrats and I hope you guys have a great Christmas!!!!