Saturday, April 19, 2008

Err... cholesterol... heart probs... not old... blah!

Okay... today my dad went to the hospital complaining of chest pain. I am far from panicky so really thought nothing of it. I've worked in the hospital for so long that I just don't stress about that stuff. Anyway... then my mom calls and tells me that they are transferring him to a bigger hospital because of some lab results. I was more irritated that they were making him go via ambulance and trying to convince my mom to tell them she would take him herself for free then worried!!! She of course is a push over and would never do that.

So he gets to the big hospital where they do an angiogram and find that VOILA!!!! He has 5 BLOCKAGES!! That's right 5! What does this mean? Open heart surgery... Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (known in the OR as a CABG).

Well.. I am no pro when it comes to cardiac surgeries but I have worked in the OR and have seen these procedures done. They are VERY intrusive... we are talking chest wide open, machine pumping blood while the heart is being worked on, legs cut open to "harvest" veins... BLECK!!! These surgeries are also INCREDIBLY fascinating and VERY successful.

So.. my dad will go under the knife once again at the ripe YOUNG age of 54 to give his heart new life.

I must say that none of this comes as a surprise as his cholesterol has been above 400 for at least 5 years. He has been a ticking bomb and once again... the brilliant Dr. who never ceases to amaze me with his STUPIDITY and IGNORANCE did absolutely nothing about it!

1 comments:

Monica said...

I hope everything turns out okay. =( Jess told me about him going to the hospital on msn earlier this morning...