Tuesday, April 22, 2008

ICU Whoas

So last night after my dad's quin bypass surgery I specifically asked the nurse how long he would be in the ICU. She told us that with PERFECT numbers on all his labs and if he were doing PERFECTLY... he would go up TONIGHT. So this morning the Dr. came in at 7 in the morning and informed my mom that "his numbers look good... we need his bed... we want him out of the ICU by NOON!!"
WTF Dr. Cardiovasular? Seriously... so they sent my dad up to the med surg floor at like 11:30 in the morning. We are talking he was like 15 hours post-op and they sent him to a nurse with 3 other patients... put him in a secluded hallway and took away his IV pain meds! In case you can't tell... I'm a little PISSED! He still has 3 chest tubes in.. which are causing him a ton of discomfort and he is trying to survive on 2 percocets every 4 hours while experiencing nausea that is not relieved by the shitty Zofran they are giving him. (They refuse to give him Phenergan which would actually help with the pain as well as the nausea.)
I'm just bugged that they pushed him out of the ICU. One of the stipulations for leaving is being off of IV pain meds and he was DEFINITELY not ready for that. His heart rate has been elevated and his face has been tense the entire day. He is also kind of loopy today. There are 2 kinds of loopy in health care... loopy from too many drugs or loopy from too much pain. Today... his loopiness was totally caused by the fact that he was HURTING LIKE HELL.
So I'm looking forward to tomorrow being a better day. He will have the chest tubes taken out around 9 in the morning and hopefully getting them out will lift his spirits and eleviate some pain. Hmm... this sure is a roller coaster. I can only imagine how bad my dad would love to get off the ride.

2 comments:

Kim and Adam said...

That is such a hospital for ya GRRR.. Just be glad that you are having a home birth this time. I hope your dad gets feeling better soon, poor guy.

Jackie said...

Hospitals really are dirty office buildings if you ask me...anyway, I hope that the days to come will bring more rest and comfort for Uncle Kerry...I love you guys and I am glad you are updating on his progress!!