Monday, June 2, 2008

It's summer!

So my boys are out of school for the summer... and I'm still pregnant. I'm not sure what to do all day but I know that sitting at home is only going to make the day drag on and possibly make me miserable.


I wake up each morning a little more frustrated wondering when this baby is going to come out. My biggest irritation is this. I want the baby to come when he is ready... it's part of the birth that I want... but the longer he is in there the farther I feel I am from my "ideal" birth. If the baby stays in too far past his "guess date" the chances of him passing meconium increase. If there is meconium present in the amniotic fluid then my chances of having the baby in the water decrease. Of course, I want him to be healthy and I certainly wouldn't want him to take in a big breath of meconium at birth but avoiding suctioning is also another big deal to me. I think it's miraculous that at the hospital they rush to shove that damn suction bulb in every opening of the face while it is simply NOT NECESSARY!!! Baby's do not have to be suctioned... they don't have to scream bloody murder. They don't need someone rubbing them vigorously or smackin' them on the back. Nature allows absorption of excessive fluids and babies can come out calm and alert. It annoys me when a pink baby is being forced to cry even though her eyes are open and she is WIDE AWAKE!!!! (In fact... the last birth I attended as a doula, the hospital caused a MAJOR respiratory problem because they wouldn't leave an alert, pink, baby alone. THEY LITERALLY CAUSED A PNEUMOTHORAX (hole in the lung)!!)


I'm just afraid that I'm going to lose the calm, peaceful environment I've worked so hard to build and been yearning for since before conception. I do not want chaos at the birth but I am nervous that the longer he stays in there... the more chaotic the situation could potentially be. Every day that passes makes me more and more concerned that I am losing out on everything that I want.


So umm... I'm getting a little cranky. I feel bad for my boys... and I don't know what to do to help them have fun and keep my sanity.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Karilynn, you are being so very patient and I am sure you will have an amazing birth no matter what! Remember its...provider provider provider and since yours is an amazing provider well you get the picture. We love you!

Elise said...

Kari,
If you are interested...when I was overdue with Jacob I asked a friend (who knew) about the acupuncture points for inducing labor. So...if you would like to know where on your body you can push (with your own fingers) to help naturally induce labor feel free to give me a call. Also, did you know you can naturally induce by pumping? It works...I promise. Just thought I'd mention it. I'm thinking of you constantly and praying for you. Good luck.