Wednesday, July 9, 2008

And so it goes!

So graduation from PICU becomes graduation from stabilizing to finding out why this happened. The pediatricians in the Infant Unit have called in a pulmonologist and a hematologist. Pulmonology came yesterday and ordered a million labs and hematology should come today. Basically pulmonogy ran tests for things that are very rare... so far... no answers.

On the bright side!
Colton is back to nursing beautifully. He never had to use a bottle. They removed the feeding tube yesterday. He is currently on room air... NO OXYGEN!! Really truly... they want to try an antibiotic given orally and if he tolerates it, they will take out the I.V. . This will be the removal of his VERY LAST LINE!!! We can't wait. The Dr.'s said that if he continues to stay the way he is that he will go home later on today or tomorrow. It kind of depends on the when the hematologist comes but I'm guessing it will be tomorrow. I would love to get home with him before the boys get home from camping.

I just can't wait to get out of here. Don't get me wrong.. this is an amazing hospital with amazing staff... I just wouldn't wish a child sick enough to be here on anyone. This has been the most trying experience of my life. There were times when he was on the vent that I would look at him and wonder what on earth I would do if he didn't make it. How could anyone turn off life support? How could I live without my little guy? I am SO incredibly grateful that he has done so wonderful. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers... and thank God for competent nurses and Dr.'s.

I would post pics of how handsome he currently is but for whatever reason, my memory card is being retarded!!! As soon as I can post them I will!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY!!!! That is so awesome. I cant wait to come visit you at home, its much closer ya know, j/k.

Kim and Adam said...

I am SOO happy that he is doing so great!!! when you guys get home let us know we want to come and see ya if you all are up to it:)