Sunday, July 6, 2008

no more tubes...!!!!!!!








We spent the whole day hoping that Colton would be extubated. During a.m. rounds the attending mentioned the possibility of extubation today but wanted to get more fluid off of him first. I was okay with the plan as he had a couple of spontaneous trials to do and pass before extubation. Unfortunately the nurse and respiratory therapist we had today were far from proactive. The day passed and it looked as though he would not be extubated because the nurse didn't follow through with the things she was told to do and the respiratory therapist had an excuse every time he was called as to why he couldn't do it then!!! When we got back after report (8:00 p.m.) we walked in to a very frustrated little guy. The sedation was completely weaned earlier in the day and now the tube was really irritating him. He was coughing and gagging. The nurse went to find the resident and see if he wanted her to intibate or sedate. Something had to be done. The resident told her to intibate. I saw her at the med cart getting meds and I knew what he had decided to do. I couldn't help it and started to cry. I just didn't want to spend tomorrow waiting for some nurse to get her shit together so he could finally be extubated. I couldn't hide my frustration and the nurse (who has come to know me well) could see I was frustrated and I just told her that we spent the whole day wasting time, that he had done everything they wanted him to do, and that I was nervous that the next day would pass like today. The attending physician came over and the nurse told her what was up. She asked a few questions about labs and output and said, "let's do it!" He has been extubated for several hours now and has been doing AMAZING!! Here are some pics of me holding him. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!



Grrr... I deleted the cute pic.. I'll post it tomorrow.. I'm really exhausted. Here is a pic Darin likes.... look at Colton, not my ugly mug... Could that be a smile?

5 comments:

Jackie said...

YAY!!! I am glad he is doing so well and you were able to hold him on your birthday. I can't imagine a better gift. Love you

williams family said...

what an amazing birthday presant!!!! he is looking better ..keep being strong. you are a wonderful mommy!!!

Cristina said...

Yay...I am so glad you got to hold him on your birthday...I'm so happy.

Unknown said...

That is just the cutest smile! I love the close up too, he really looks like colton again! Is he up stairs yet?

Kim and Adam said...

Yay!!! that is so great!! you couldn't ask for anything better:)