Saturday, July 5, 2008

Friday

The rest of last night was not too shabby. I actually learned to like the nurse and she learned that Colton is a different kind of amazing. She stopped with the negative and we had a good time joking with each other. So... I didn't fire her.

I slept for about 3 hours last night and when I woke up I found that Colton had not changed much during the night. No progression, no digression and I prepped my self for a plateau. I know that I can't expect that he is going to keep getting better so quickly. What I didn't realize was that he had different plans. I swear to you he decided to take a break last night and start rockin and rollin as soon as the sun came up! He started controlling his BPS on his own and they started tube feedings today! (And they promise to only give him my breast milk!) They were able to wean the settings on the oscillator down and HIP HIP HOORAY he went from the oscillator to a conventional vent around 8:30 p.m.. His labs are stable and he is tolerating the vent beautifully. He also has made some small movement in his feet and occasionally coughs, gets hiccups or even takes breaths. The respiratory therapist said that at the rate he is going (provided he continues on the same rate) he may be extubated TOMORROW!!! I really hope that if not tomorrow than Sunday! Sunday is my birthday... what could be a better gift then to get him out of the ICU and on to the newborn med/surg floor?!?! Well... extubation would be AWESOME as well! Extubation means I can hold my baby!!!

This morning in the shower I was thinking of songs that were supposed to be happy... I was sort of singing "You are my sunshine" to myself when I sang the second verse and my heart hurt.
The other night dear, as i lay sleeping, I dreamt I held you in my arms. But when I woke dear, I was mistaken and I hung my head and cried.

I can't wait to hold my baby in my arms.

Thanks for all your love and even your prayers!

2 comments:

Kim and Adam said...

I am so excited!!! I haven't been able to sleep cause I keep checking your blog 24/7 waiting for more good news!! I can't wait until we can all see him and hold him Wahoo!! Keep it up baby Colton, he is in our prayers every night♥

Unknown said...

That is so AWESOME! Last night we went to bed wondering and this morning we woke up in awe...we will keep our fingers crossed and our thoughts focused. Oh and I have clean clothes for you!