Saturday, May 10, 2008

Make way for baby!!!


So here I am at 37 and a half weeks prego. I realized from Cortneys comment that I have no pics of me prego on my blog. Now you can all see why! At this point in my past pregnancies.... Damon and Dominic were born 7 days from today and Jaydin was born 4 days from today! (By gestational age.) With this little guy I would really like him to stay in for AT LEAST 11 more days... preferably 16! :o) I am totally ready for him... I would just like to get through all the birthdays and be able to get my dad to Cardiac Rehab everyday. Vicki will be able to take over driving after the 23rd so... if we can make it that far my dad will not have to have any gaps in his rehab!!!!

This pregnancy has been a roller coaster ride to me thanks to my "just kidding you didn't miscarry after all" experience and the provider that I originally chose. My dad's surgery has been an added bonus to the whole scenario but actually the least stressful of the hurtles I've been jumping. Because this has all been so crazy... I wanted to take a minute and reflect on HOW WELL PLANNED OUT THIS PREGNANCY REALLY WAS... AND HOW EXCITED WE ARE THAT COLTON WILL BE JOINING OUR FAMILY VERY SOON!!!

Let's start with "the compromise." Darin had 2 stipulations to having another baby... one was that he get his truck!


The second was that he pass his Residential Journeyman test.


So I did tons of research as the date of accomplishment towards the compromise rolled around and discovered home birth. I really felt a strong desire to have my next baby at home because... I HATE THE HOSPITAL! I hate the way they take the baby away and act like they own it. I hate the smell. I hate the stupid uncomfortable bed. I hate the providers who act put out when you ask for something. I hate the anxiety of oh.. is this it? Am I going to get to the hospital in time? And I hate the interventions they throw out like candy when you don't labor in a way that is expedient for them!!! I called several different people whom I knew had first hand experience with birthing at home including a few home birth midwives and after looking at the actual statistics, I realized that having my baby at home was not just safe but safer for me than the hospital. It also was the only way to know that my birth choices will REALLY be validated. I am lucky enough to have Darin... who totally hates the hospital as well, knows that I know how to have babies, and isn't afraid of a little blood! So with home birth in mind I waited patiently for Darin to take his test!

Once both stipulations were accomplished it was a matter of DAYS before I took out my IUD! (That's right I took it out... my Dr. told me to and it was really easy. ) I desperately wanted to have another May baby as I figure at this point my mothers ring would be horribly ugly with 3 Emeralds and a Topaz or something! This is the first baby I will have INTENTIONALLY in May and I'm very excited. I also really wanted to have a 2 year gap between Dom and the next. I feel like the one year gap was WAY too small but a 3 year gap would be too big. The day I had my first/last period after I took the IUD out I already had my due date calculated and would say things like... "If I get pregnant this month I will be due May 28th!" I was very excited when I had a positive pregnancy test mid-September.
So even though the rest of this pregnancy has been trickier than intended. I couldn't be more thrilled that I will be giving birth to our little guy in the next couple of weeks! The boys are so excited to have a baby brother and well... as hard as it is to imagine nursing and not sleeping all over again... we are taking it in stride with a lot of humor and anticipating the day we will finally meet Colton Stephen Adams!!!

3 comments:

Leandra said...

OMG you are sooooo much braver than I! LOL... No really I hate hate hate the hospital beds and the every freaking 20 minutes (ok so slight exaggeration) blood pressure check...even in the night while I'm sleeping! But....for me it's all worth the epidural. Yup I'm a wimp :-)

Vicki Sue said...

I love this blog!! I can't wait until we get to welcome Colton into the family.

Elise said...

I am so proud of you guys for all the accomplishments you have made Darin getting through school, you supporting him through it all despite all the job changes, moving, more job changes, and all the other bumps in the rode that you have mentioned. Way to stick with it and I am very excited for you and will be anxious to see the newest Adams when we are in UT in Aug. Can't wait to see you guys take care and best of luck.
Les