Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Preparing for birth at home....

So I have a little edema these days!!!

Semi-Ankles in the morning.....

Cankles at night!! OUCH!!!

So now that I'm getting close to the end of my pregnancy, we decided to get the room ready for the "big event". I anticipate using the whole house for most of my labor but plan on birthing the baby in the spare bedroom downstairs, hopefully in my fancy inflatable birthing tub!! Darin is planning on "catching" the baby but will NOT be in the tub with me! (It's big enough but he is not interested.) Here is a pic of the AMAZING birthing tub!!!


We also have a nice queen sized bed in the bedroom. We lined it with some Vinyl shower curtains (bought at All-A-Dollar)! I hope to use the bed to just get some nice massages during labor! (My midwife is also a massage therapist ;o) ) It's also nice to have the bed in the case that something arises that would require me to get out of the tub for whatever reason... I.E. thick meconium present when my water breaks.



So here's kind of the whole set up. We have plastic under the tub as you can see and also candles in the window as I plan to have candles burning just to make the atmosphere as relaxing as possible. I am very excited about this birth. I know that some of you may think I'm completely insane but I promise to blog all about it once the little guy arrives.

Speaking of his arrival... Darin is getting VERY annoyed with my lack of desire to pop RIGHT THIS SECOND!!! He really wants me to be doing things to promote the birth... I'm not sure why he is in such a hurry to have a crying baby and a wife who squirts milk across the room... either way.. it's kind of cute that he is so anxious to meet his son.

5 comments:

Lena's Mom said...

I wish I could have given birth at home. It sounds like it will be a wonderful experience. I did however in the hospital have my boom box play Enya. If you haven't heard her you should, she has very tranquil music. There was nothing better than giving birth to Lena listening to her music.

Nicholette said...

I'm so super excited for you guys!! I can't wait till he's here. You'll let me oogle and coddle him, right?? I miss having a baby around . . . . I guess it's a good thing I'm pregnant! So you have to give me a definate yes or no if you want me to do pictures!! I really really want to, but I know you'll tell me to take a hike if you don't want me there. :o) I just need to get it in my mind that you either want me there or you don't, so I'm not disappointed when you call me one day and tell me you had the baby and I did get to take any pics. I even went to the library and got a couple of books so I'll have something to do should you want my services! ;o) Woo! It's almost baby time!

Kim and Adam said...

Oh your poor feet:( I can't wait to see pics of the water birth HOW EXCITING!! If my pregnancy weren't so crazy I would consider it for sure!! YEAH baby Colton ♥

Leandra said...

Hey how'd you get a picture of my cankles from when I was pregnant with Braylee? :-) lol... I remember after I had her I was so mad that they didn't go away that instant hehe...

Kelsey and Andy said...

I am so proud of myself for actually remembering your blog address. I do think you are kind of crazy for doing the home birth, but I think it is great! I have never met anyone so prepared and at ease with the idea of having a baby in their basement! Good luck and you know where to find me if you need anything!